Friday, November 17, 2006

On the Road Again



I’ll be heading east this weekend for Thanksgiving. It seems like I just returned from my October trips to Minneapolis MN and Eugene OR. Actually, it doesn’t seem that long ago since my trip across the country (by way of Booneville MO) to get to Seattle. But it has been 7 months already since Carolyn and Dave were married in the Ozarks. Here is the link to my report about their wedding and my trip to get there:

Ozark Mountains PSO Wedding
http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/players/frank-niro01.htm

Photo above: PSO members Metalmania, MissouriDave, Dream_Catcher, ChessSafari and PapiW at Dave and Carolyn's wedding in Missouri 4/15/06.

A teaser paragraph...
that´s how I got invited to the wedding. And I wouldn´t have made it if not for the help of my friend Delilah who encouraged me to take a side trip to Missouri on my way to visit her in Seattle. I´m heading out there to stay while I finish my book. When I told Delilah of Carolyn and Dave´s wedding, she said, "You should go. And take as many beautiful side trips along the way as you like." So I did.


While in Eugene, I picked up Chef Billy who will be planning and coordinating the opening of Delilah’s new restaurant in Port Orchard. Not only is Billy a professional chef, he is also an accomplished opera singer!

I haven’t heard Chef Billy sing (yet), but I can vouch for the quality of his culinary talents. Two weeks ago tonight I had dinner at the Savoy Truffle in downtown Eugene where Billy is part owner and head chef. The smoked prime rib was the best I have ever had. No doubt it will be one of the choices on the menu at Delilah’s new place.

Since Chef Billy arrived here we have been visiting and sampling the menus of the potential competition. It hasn’t been good for my waistline but it HAS been educational and fun. Besides that, I have been getting to know another of Delilah’s great friends. I bought him a plane ticket to join me in Easton NY for Thanksgiving dinner on November 23. The same evening you will be able to hear him on the radio being interviewed by Delilah from Iraq. You can find the station nearest you here:

http://www.delilah.com/affiliates/affiliates.html

The name Savoy Truffle will sound familiar to Beatles fans. Their 1968 White Album contained a song by that name with these lyrics:

Creme tangerine and montelimar
a ginger sling with a pineapple heart
a coffee dessert yes you know it's good news
But you'll have to have them all pull out after the Savoy truffle

Cool cherry cream and a nice apple tart
I feel you taste all the time we're apart
Coconut fudge really blows down those blues
But you'll have to have them all pull out after the Savoy truffle

You might not feel it now
but when the pain cuts through you're gonna know and how
The sweat is gonna fill you head when it becomes too much, you'll shout aloud
But you'll have to have them all pull out after the Savoy truffle

You know that what you eat you are
but what is sweet now turns so sour
We all know ob-bla-di-bla-da
but can you show me where you are

Creme tangerine and montelimar
a ginger sling with a pineapple heart
a coffee dessert yes you know it's good news
But you'll have to have them all pull out after the Savoy truffle
Yes, you'll have to have them all pull out after the Savoy truffle


The Savoy Truffle restaurant in Eugene does not, unfortunately, have a web site. You can find it a block north of the post office on Willamette Street, a short walk from the convention center. It is tucked in the back and definitely worth looking for. Tell Angela and Ashanti that I sent you.

Chef Billy and I surveyed the competition again last night. We stopped at the Margarita Beach Café in Purdy WA and learned that they changed menus and décor five weeks ago. Then we headed to the airport to pick up Easy Eddie on his arrival from North Carolina (a/k/a Woodstied for those of you who are members of PSO). Neither of us ever met Easy Eddie before. Let’s just say he has had a colorful past, and leave it at that…for today.

No comments: