Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Return to Boonville

An example of the 2011 Missouri River Flooding, still in evidence along I-29 in Iowa and Missouri

I thought I would cross the Missouri River into Iowa at Nebraska City but found that the bridge was closed. Same thing at the Rte. 136 crossing, and again at Rolo. Eventually I made my way into Kansas and crossed at St. Joseph's, Missouri. Click here to read more about the flooding.

A few hours later I passed by the KC sports complex where the Royals and Chiefs play their home games. Then it was on to Boonville, Rocheport and Columbia where my adventure out west began five years ago. The Ozark Mountain Poker Wedding remains one of my favorite (and most frequently viewed) blogs, so it was nice to reminisce on the way back east.

Last evening I visited the famed St. Louis Chess Center where I listened to a lecture by GM Benjamin Finegold.

Today I will visit the newly opened Chess Hall of Fame in St. Louis. Then on to Crossville, TN, where I will meet Mayor J.H. Graham tomorrow morning at 8:30 am. I left my "key to the city" on the wall of the Portland Chess Club in Oregon, but the Mayor promised that he would let me in anyway...

I updated Monday's blog with my own picture of Fossil Butte monument.

No comments: