Thursday, July 11, 2013

Best Wine I've Had in a Long Time


So, I bought this bottle of wine at a silent auction in NYC a few months ago to support the Susan Polgar Foundation. Tonight I tried it and I have to say it is REALLY good. Last time I had wine this good was at Al Lawrence's house in Wallkill, NY. I decided to look it up and found the following:

2005 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

The 2005 vintage was exceptional for the Mt. George region of Napa Valley. Our cooler climate ensured wines of great depth and structure. The 2005 Palmaz Estate is deep, lush and wonderfully aromatic. The palate is generous and silky with flavors ranging from dark fruits and cassis to earth and spice. This is a complete wine that drinks well in its youth and will continue to improve over the next decade.


Apellation: Napa Valley
Blend: 97% Cabernet Sauvignon
3% Cabernet Franc
Barrel Aging: 22 Months
100% French Oak
70% New Oak
Analysis: Alcohol 14.5%
pH 3.81
TA 5.1 g/l
Production: 2,800 six-bottle cases
Bottled: September 2007
Harvest: September 8 through November 4th, 2005
Fermentation: N/A
Tank Fermented: N/A


Cabernet is the soul of Palmaz Vineyards. It is the wine that inspired Julio and Amalia to make Cabernets that may be cellared and savored for years to come. The Palmaz Cabernets are deep, complex and well balanced by supple tannins. They are eminently ageable wines, yet approachable enough to be enjoyed in their youth.

Price on the web site - $180.00 per bottle (not case) and they are SOLD OUT!

I'm not a wine reviewer, but my feeling is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, if you can find it.

Sincere thanks to whoever donated it to SPGI for the event!

Now a toast to my friend Jeff in Idaho and his dad. Stay well, my friends.

No comments: